Monday, March 30, 2015

Reading Diary A: Looking-Glass

Looking-Glass

Looking-Glass: Tweedledum And Tweedledee: I haven’t watched the movie Alice and Wonderland in so long that I almost forgot about Alice’s encounter with the two twin characters, Tweedledee and Tweedledum. The two little men seemed so mischievous and cunning with their directions and poems. After reading the line, “But the little men only looked at each other and grinned,” my view of them was confirmed because their pesky personalities were revealed through their simple grins. I also liked that the story inserted bits of information about Alice’s feelings after her journey. It gave the story a deeper, holistic summary.


The Walrus and Carpenter: It was cool to read another unit where some of the stories were connected to each other. I almost felt like I was reading a short novel about Alice.

In this snippet of the little men’s poem, I started realizing how purposeful each word was placed. For example, the moon was not referred to as an “it” but instead a “she”. Here is the section of the poem:

The moon was shining sulkily,
Because she thought the sun
Had got no business to be there
After the day was done —
"It's very rude of him," she said,
"To come and spoil the fun!"


There was a friendly war between the moon and the sun that reminded me of some of the Native American stories I had read a few weeks ago for this class. After reading this story, I also looked up the word “sulkily” to confirm its meaning. That then led me to look up words in the definition, so I now know more synonyms for the word “sulkily." These include ‘sullen,’ ‘morose,’ and ‘resentful.’

No comments:

Post a Comment