Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Essay: Looking-Glass

The Looking-Glass was a fun unit to explore because it brought me back to my childhood. I haven’t seen the Disney movie Alice and Wonderland in years, so the stories were a good reminder of the plot and characters. I liked how this unit was split up into little sections so some stories were all connected while all of the stories fit into the same theme. My favorite story of the unit was Tweedledum and Tweedledee because the two little men were so clever with their poetry and remarks. At points, they were a little annoying and immature, but that is what made the story so excellent. I understood who the characters were after just one or two stories about a simple conversation.


After read the title of the unit, I would have had no idea what the stories were about unless I had read the little description under the title. When I read there would be some stories about Tweedledee and Tweedledum and Humpty Dumpty, I knew I wanted to read more.  I read the author’s note and realized the title comes from the world Alice explores. This was a great piece of information to include because I would have been unsure what the title meant without it.  

I also noticed in the little summary of the unit, the name “Tweedledum “ is spelt with an “e” at the end. I am pretty sure that letter that needs to be deleted. That is the only part I would change though, and even that isn’t a huge deal because I still understood who the character was because of his outlandish and memorable name.


I left the unit wanting to go watch the cartoon version of Alice and Wonderland. I actually haven’t seen the more recent version with Johnny Depp, so now might be the best opportunity for me to watch it since the story is on my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment