Tuesday, April 7, 2015

College Writing Review

In advertising, we work directly with public relations and marketing disciplines. These three combined provide many opportunities for writing. Whether that is from social media to press releases to annual reports. There are areas for creative and professional writing.

For example, when branding a company, you have to create their “voice.” This must be incorporated into everything they produce, from emails to articles to copy on the website. This opens the door to writing with personality. Through this class, I have gotten the opportunity to really let my personality bleed through my stories. The assignments have allowed this because we are required to put a twist on a published story.


Before this class, I only wrote research papers or executive summaries for advertising campaigns. These were more straightforward and rigid assignments because storytelling was not incorporated.


At work today, some of my coworkers were reading an article about storytelling, and it got me thinking about how even corporate businesses can use this technique. I work for a nonprofit, so storytelling is the heart of our writing because we are trying to pluck the heartstrings of our supporters. However, a business can also use this method because there are plenty of success stories that can be used as promotional materials.

1 comment:

  1. Brooke, I am so glad to hear that the connection makes sense to you: I definitely look for stories when I read about companies, both for-profit companies and non-profits too. That's why I am always glad when advertising and marketing students take this class: the stories you might help companies tell are not exactly myths or legends... but in a sense, they are!

    ReplyDelete