Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Famous Last Words: Week 11

This week, I read the Looking-Glass unit, which had many stories about the Disney movie Alice and Wonderland. For example, one of my favorite stories was Tweedledum and Tweedledee. I have always referred to them together, but with Tweedledee coming first in the pattern, so that was an interesting formatting difference I picked up on. The story was a funky one because to be honest, the characters were quite odd. They talk so quickly and “poetically” that the reader has to really hone in on each sentence to fully comprehend.

My other classes are going well. I took a test this morning for my Languages Across Cultures class, which went pretty well. I mean, I haven’t gotten my grade back yet, but I am feeling pretty confident about my performance. We read a book this past month about languages dying out. We went through the different aspect about endangered languages that make them so incredibly unique. For example, some languages have 60 words to describe different types of reindeer. This is necessary because they are traditionally reindeer herders so while these names require more memory, they make life easier and more efficient when it comes to working the field.



I also took a major point away from this reading in my Languages Across Cultures class. I was misinformed about something, so the book set me straight. I thought one of the main differences between languages was that you couldn’t communicate all of the exact same thoughts because of language differences. I was wrong though because the book explained that you can express the exact same thoughts in every single language. You might have to use 20 words to express a thought that takes only one word in a different language, but in the end, you can express it as well as comprehend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment