Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Reading Diary B: Native American Stories

Native American Stories

The Fairy Bride: This line caught my attention: “Her eyes had the look of one who has dwelt in secret places, and seen things strange and mysterious.” It made me curious to see what would distinguish eyes that have seen secret places from normal eyes.

When the hills (made by the grasshoppers) were mentioned, the Native American culture came to life. When I took Cherokee, I noticed there were many connections with nature and animals. Also, we probably learned more animal names than any other subject. Anytime another animal was mentioned, the same carefree attitude was expressed.

This comparison was simple, but creative: “Puk-Wudjies would vanish in the woods, but their footprints, no larger than a child's.”


The Fairy Bride (cont.): In my Languages Across Cultures class, I have been learning about some endangered languages that still use the moon to tell time. They are either nomads are live primarily in the woods. This line made me think of that method of telling time: “An Indian would say he could hang his powder horn upon it (moon), and that it meant dry weather when the leaves crackled under the hunter's feet and the animals fled before him.”


The conversation between the mother and daughter reminded me of a modern movie. I feel like fighting to be the most “wise” is an argument that commonly happens between a mother and her child. I know in my own life, I would tell my mom that I was smarter than her with driving even though I had only been driving for less than a year.

1 comment:

  1. Since I've already commented on your introduction post, I decided to comment on this. I haven't read this section, but it sounds very interesting. I took Language Across Cultures last semester and I definitely remember reading about all the different cultures that used the moon to tell the time. I like how you connected those ideas together. Great job!

    ReplyDelete