Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Storytelling Week 9: Neen-i-zu's Adventure


In the great sate of Michigan, the Obbydooby forest was located. It was also the home to a quiet young lady named Neen-i-zu. She loved the outdoors and spent most of her mornings strolling around the beautiful landscape. Once noon hit, Neen-i-zu would trek over to Lake Superior to visit her friends. In most cases, the word “friend” would refer to other young women like herself, but not in this story.

Being the daughter of an Indian chief, her roots were in royalty, but her heart was with nature. After the womb, she had an instant connection to the greenery and animals around her. This curiosity frightened her parents, giving them a more anxious walk of life than they would have hoped. However, these emotions didn’t hinder the love they possessed for their only child. They loved her greatly and told her that as often as they could.

Neen-i-zu means “My Dear Life,” which was a more than fitting name for this lass. She had vigor flowing through her veins and bones that didn’t stay still. Always on an adventure, Neen-i-zu found creatures almost unimaginable to most humans. Her open mind allowed her to fully believe what she saw.

The first time Neen-i-zu journeyed to Lake Superior, she walked along the shoreline by herself. For hours she walked. The sun was about to set when she heard a few faint voices coming from behind her. She immediately entered fight-or-flight mode. Unsure where these voices were coming from, she became determined to find the source.

“We admire you Miss Neen-i-zu,” the child-like voice said.

Neen-i-zu immediately replied, “Who are you? Show yourself.”

“You must believe in order to see us Miss Neen-i-zu,” the voice told her.

“I do believe. You are frightening me though, so please come out from your hiding! I will not hurt you,” Neen-i-zu said.

With fear, the voices gathered together to decide their next move. The Puk-Wudjies stepped out of the bushes and walked to the feet of Neen-i-zu.

She was looking up, trying to spot the creatures that had been talking to her when she felt a tingling on her feet. Right when she peered down, she saw the little creatures. They were almost fairy-like, but she had never set eyes upon something this magical.


The Puk-Wudjies quickly spoke to calm her frightened face and told her they were fairies of the Obbydooby forest, but that she shouldn’t be scared. They were there to teach her about the spacious woods.


Author's Note: I chose this story because I wanted to change it up and almost create a completely new story! The original tale has the same characters and locations, but the plot was focused more on Neen-i-zu’s adventures with the little fairies. I wanted to create a story that focused on the beginning of Neen-i-zu’s life and her initial meeting of the fairies. My version also leaves the reader hanging at the end!

Bibliography: The Fairy Bride. Native American Stories. Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook. American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (1921). 

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this story. You did a great job re-writing this story and I liked your version much more than the original. I like the fact that you focused on the beginning of Neen-i-zu's life, because I thought it brought you closer to the character. I look forward to reading more of your stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story was very well written! I really enjoyed reading it. I didn't read the original story, but I really like your story. I like how adventurous Neen-i-zu is. She wanders off by herself even when her parents don't approve. Your version of the story makes me curious to see how different the original is. Great job! I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that Native Americans told stories about fairies! I thought they were more from the European culture. How interesting! It was also nice to hear the background of the character. Most of the stories from the UnTextbook are packed with action. A story with more description was very much welcomed. I was curious at the end what was special about those woods. I'll just come up with my own explanation!

    ReplyDelete