Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Brainstorming Topics

Topic: Cosmological Creation Stories
Comments: Reading about different creation stories of where the world came from and how human life came to be initially excited me because of the impact the stories can have on people.
Possible Stories: The Creation Stories website from the University of Georgia gave a long list of possible stories to choose from. One was called "The Golden Chain," which dealt with orishas, which are any of the several minor gods. I had never heard of this word before, which excites me to explore more stories like this one. 
Sample Story Comments: I looked through the Sacred Texts Archive and found "The Seven Tablets of the History of Creation." I read the first tablet, which talked about the family structure of the gods who created the earth. 
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Tablet One
Book Title: The Seven Tablets of the History of Creation
Book Author: Leonard William King
Year: 1902

Topic: Mermaid Adventures
Comments: When I think of mythology and folklore, my first thought goes to mermaids. This could be because of modern movies like "The Little Mermaid" created by Disney or because of their whimsical naure. Exploring this topic will hopefully open my eyes to the diverse selection of mermaid stories and adventures.
Possible Stories: With mermaids, your imagination can go wild. What I found through reading some of the stories on The Mermaid Wife website was that their creativity exploded through my screen. The mermaids and mermen took the form of seals at the beginning of one of the stories. This website would be a great source to find more intriguing mermaid stories. 
Sample Story Comments: I read the story, "Water Demons," on the website, Water Spirit Legends 1. While it was short, it really grasped the mystic of mermaid legends by touching on the power of the underwater creatures. 
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Water Demons
Book Title: Notes on the Folk-Lore of the North-East of Scotland 
Book Author: Walter Gregor
Year: 1881

Topic: Biblical Women 
Comments: Through reading about the women of the Bible in my younger years and today, there are always new stories to read or new perspectives to come from when reading about these women's real life stories. Many unlikely women are discussed in the Bible that allows the reader to see grace, forgiveness and consequences. 
Possible Stories: I would want to use the Bible to compare and contrast some of the women's stories. 
Sample Story Comments: The UN-textbook alone has about 20 stories, each focused on a different woman of the Bible. I really enjoyed reading the story of Hagar and Sarah because Hagar isn’t seen as one of the most popular women in the Bible because of her son, Ishmael.
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: Sarah
Book Title: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook; King James Bible
Book Author: Moses

Year: 1611


Topic: Pig Nursery Rhymes
Comments: This topic will let my imagination run wild. There are so many different veins I can take from traditional to wacky and unexpected. This would truly be a fun topic to use. 
Possible Stories: I read through "The Real Mother Goose" where I found a plethora of nursery rhymes. I wanted to narrow it down to a type of animal so as I searched, I found a few about pigs. Surprisingly two of them had to do with pigs and wigs. "The Aesop For Children" had a story about pigs too. 
Sample Story Comments: I read the nursery rhyme, "The Flying Pig," which isn't very specific with its words so I could easily make the "the man in brown" just about anyone to make the story super interesting. Other examples include, "The Barber" and "A Pig." 
Bibliography Information:
Sample Story: The Flying Pig
Book Title: The Real Mother Goose
Book Author: Illustrated by Blanche Fisher Wright
Year: 1916


No comments:

Post a Comment