Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Storybook Favorites

The first storybook I looked through was Magical Mermaid Tales because it caught my eye with "The Little Mermaid" image. I have always been a huge fan of Disney movies, the beach and painting so I had an immediate connection to this student's storybook. Once I read the title I had a pretty good idea the storybook would be about "The Little Mermaid" since the class is about mythology and folklore. The paintings on the "The Little Mermaid" tab were whimsical and airy with an ethereal touch. Anytime I see beautiful paintings I want to get out my paints and brushes to start a new project. You could say this storybook inspired me to paint today.

Another storybook I took interest in was Animal Tales From India to Oklahoma. I only lived in Oklahoma for three and a half years, but I have a special place in my heart for the state. The Native American culture fascinates me. When looking through the storybook by Benjamin Birdwell, I started noticing the stories had much to do with animals, especially squirrels. One even named Osh-ba-Gosh. After reading through a couple of paragraphs, I started wanting to know more about the story. 

Lastly, I enjoyed When Brothers Cross Paths. The design was eerie and the writing drew me in with the descriptive adjectives and dark feel. The pictures and design were complementary. I didn't even have to start reading before I knew what direction the story was going to head. This was a positive about the website. The story is based on the brothers in Supernatural, the TV show, which is a show I have never actually seen before, but the fact that something modern is twisted with the Grimm brothers is fascinating. I enjoy reading about mysterious stories, and this introduction led me to believe this storybook was a mystery. 


Haunted Forest: Watching Reservation Fall. 
Photo by Mor. Found from "When Brothers Cross Paths." 
Source: Flickr

2 comments:

  1. I was very intrigued by your first choice of storybook, Magical Mermaid Tales. I agree with you completely that the story followed The Little Mermaid's life. The pictures were bright, colorful and appeared to have movement just like in a painting. Her hair seemed to be flowing in the water in the pictures. I can see how the pictures inspired you to want to take out your paints and create something just as beautiful. If I had that talent, I definitely would have been inspired to paint as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the Magical Mermaid too! It's uncommon to see a kind of crisp, detailed retelling of a classic story. The writer's style makes it a very enjoyable read: they make sure to reach all the important details at exactly the right time, with plenty of action, which shows they have a very good sense of the audience's thought process as they usher them along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete