Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Famous Last Words Week 1

This class has been a pleasant surprise so far. There is definitely a heavier workload than I was expecting, but hopefully I can start getting into a routine where each to-do for the week doesn’t seem as daunting. I thought my best work included my modern interpretation of the “The Wolf and the Kid.” Getting to do creative writing assignments excite me because I rarely get the chance to do them for school. In my own life, I used to journal daily, but have failed to stay committed to that endeavor.

My favorite assignment this week was getting to proofread the two stories because I am oddly fascinated by grammar rules. When I took a class my sophomore year of college, I learned about AP Style, which greatly improved my writing abilities. Creative writing can be intimating at times because there are so many extraordinary writers out there from the past and the present who have honed in on their trade over the years to produce excellent pieces of art. That is something I want to accomplish in the year of 2015. I want to become bolder about my writing and less intimidated by failure. Many joys in life cannot be experienced because of fear. It is a difficult hurdle to jump over though confidently. Fear creeps in at the most inopportune times. 

I haven’t started my other classes yet, but because I start my job next week along with the rest of the semester activities, I wanted to get as much of this class finished as I can while I have the free time. Too much free time can be dangerous and birth apathy.


I started to read the book “The Screwtape Letters” by C.S. Lewis about a year ago, but never fully finished it because of other distractions in the semester, so I decided I wanted to re-read the book this semester. It reminds me of this class just because it is about the head demon teaching a younger demon how to distract and destroy a man’s life through simple earthly tricks that seem so ordinary to mere humans. I greatly recommend it.



The book cover of the book "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on finishing up the first week already, Brooke, and yes yes yes to C. S. Lewis. What a great writer! Screwtape Letters is such an ingenious book: talk about a bold storytelling style, and one that is unforgettable as a result! In fact, just seeing that book cover here in your post is making me want to read that one again...! :-)

    ReplyDelete