Sunday, February 8, 2015

Reading Diary A: Tales of a Parrot

After reading through the Tales of a Parrot unit, I started realizing how common it is for some supernatural being to be apart of the stories. From the Bible Unit to Life of The Buddha and now Tales of a Parrot, it doesn’t matter the context, plot or characters, a God or gods are 
somehow incorporated.



Miemun and Khojisteh:After reading this first story of the unit, I was immediately infatuated by the idea of a wise and almost mischievous parrot. The words and thoughts of the small bird were so complex and eloquent that I knew the two together, man and bird, would be a great combination.

There were two words I actually learned from reading this little snippet. I had never heard of the words “hun” and “spikenard” so I left the story with a larger vocabulary!

Khojisteh and theParrot: This story immediately turned for the worse! But it was so unexpected that I actually enjoyed reading it all the way through. Even though the poor sharuk died a horrible death of being beaten by the woman, the surprise of the act made me more curious as I continued to read.


The Story of theParrot of Ferukh Beg: I learned the meaning of another new word, “sagacious,” which means shrewd or good judgment. This word was used to describe another parrot in Ferukh Beg’s household. I can respect the little fellow for not wanting his master to divorce his wife for her affair while he was gone for a year and a half, but marriage needs to be all about honesty so I wish he went ahead and said something.

No comments:

Post a Comment