Sunday, February 15, 2015

Reading Diary A: Nigerian Folklore

Nigerian Folklore


After reading the first paragraph, I noticed the word “skilful” was spelt with just one “l”. This looked odd to me so I decided to look it up in the online dictionary to confirm its spelling. I found out that “skilful” is the British spelling, which makes this spelling just as correct as the English version of “skillful.”  

The method Oyaikan, the witch, used to kill the king reminded me of the story in the Bible of the beheading of John the Baptist. In both situations, the beheading gave one party much pleasure while seriously affected the other in a clearly negative way.

Later on in the story, we hear about the king’s head wife breaking open the door to the king’s chambers to awake him. The idea of having multiple wives, with one being the head wife really saddens me because polygamy doesn’t cherish the intimacy of marriage.

Something I’ve noticed about the readings in this class is that a simple lesson is usually taught throughout the text, but isn’t summed up until the end. Also, the lesson isn’t announced with a lengthy paragraph, but instead, it takes just a simple sentence to express the profound idea.




This was such a clever story, and I think this quote really sums up my reasoning why. When the bush rat asked the bat why his soup always tasted so yummy, this is how the bat replied:

"I always boil myself in the water, and my flesh is so sweet that the soup is good."


After reading many of these stories, my mind itched to write zany stories that are so out of the ordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment