Monday, February 2, 2015

Reading Diary B: The Life of Buddha

The Life of Buddha

Siddhartha the Hermit: This story has so many beautifully written sentences that describe settings or truths. Instead of just talking about dawn or a horse, Buddha uses descriptive words, so unusual, that they catch the reader’s attention. For example, to describe dawn, the author starts off the story by saying, “When the sun finally peered between the eyelids of night.” Later on, Buddha gives a helpful, profound teaching. He says, “Unhappiness is born of desire; that man it to be pitied who is a salve to his passions.” This is such a counter-cultural stance in our society because we are taught to please ourselves in order to gain happiness, whether that is through success, money or perfection. This instead teaches that feeding your fleshly desires is the demise to a happy life.



The Tree of Knowledge: Many of the miracles in this story seem to be experienced or granted for convenience instead of to show the glory of Buddha. Some of the other miracles could belong to a fairy tale because of the good vs. evil theme. This is especially true when Mara, the Evil One, raised the banks of the pool to prevent Buddha from escaping and then Buddha prayed to the Goddess that lived in the tall tree on the bank to help him climb out.


Siddhartha Becomes the Buddha: There was one large paragraph in the story that almost threw me off because of the repetition and complexity, but at the end, it concluded that ignorance is at the root of old age and death. While I had to think on this for some time, I think this makes some sense in relation to Buddhism. From the start of humanity, men and women were ignorant, which means they needed something more powerful than themselves to save them from the darkness within them.

2 comments:

  1. Brooke, I think the stories you chose sound really interesting. These aren't the stories I chose to read for this week, but after reading your reading diary, it makes me want to go and read them! I love the description that you said was used in the story--I think those descriptive words and phrases make all the difference. It also sounds like there are some great morals from these stories! I hope you enjoyed reading this story, and maybe I will next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke! The stories that you chose are very interesting! I love how you summarized them because I didn't read these stories this week and I seemed to have gotten the gist of them! You made the stories seem very interesting! I like the picture that you chose too!

    ReplyDelete